Sunday 30 January 2011

Last Words


Today I was watching the American show 'How I Met Your Mother'. (If you watch it this contains spoilers). One of the main characters' (Marshall) father died in today's episode. The episode revolves around the last words Marshall said to his father and vice versa. He is devestated because he feels that his last words were inadequate and he forever has to live with that. His situation stirs his friends to think of what their last words to their parents would be if something were to happen to them right now.

Now, this is not meant to be a morbid post. Rather, it made me think...I am incredibly close to all my family and love them very dearly. But like i'm sure many others also do, sometimes because I know that they will love me unconditionally no matter what, I say hurtful things to them, shout at them, release my pent up frustrations on them. In all of this sometimes I forget to take the time to tell them how much I love them, how I appreciate everything that they do for me, and how I really don't mean those things I say in anger. You take for granted that your loved ones will always be there, that there will always be a chance to say those things, and that they know you really don't mean it. This episode made me consider how heartbroken I would be if my last words to a loved one were in anger.

I know that we are only human and therefore inevitably flawed. Since we never know which moment might be our last, we can never really prepare the perfect "last words". So instead, those things that we put off doing or saying because we assume we'll have time...do it now. Tell your loved ones how much they're loved and appreciated, even if you are tired give a little smile, take the time to say thank you and do something thoughtful for the person you love. Who knows what the future holds? And in the words of one my favorite artists John Mayer, "its better to say too much, than never to say what you need to say".

No comments:

Post a Comment