Wednesday 16 March 2011

Where do I want to be in 5 years?

 
I have had a zillion interviews lately (ok maybe i'm exaggerating maybe more like 25 but it FEELS like a zillion). After interning for about six months following graduation, I am now on the hunt for a permanent position. I'm not gonna lie, the eagerness and hopefulness I had early on are wearing thin and I'm feeling the pressure more and more every day that goes by and I still don't have a job.

On so many of these interviews they have asked me, "What do I want to be in 5 years?". At the interviews I obviously say something ambitious and career orientated. But if I had to answer that question honestly, no strings attached, the picture says it - I want to be happy in five years. Whilst I'm ambitious about my career, it isn't and I don't want it ever to be what defines me as a person. When I fantasize about what life might be like for me in five years, I dream of being surrounded by a loving healthy family and wonderful friends, having lots of new adventures, and at the same time appreciating the simple things in life, being passionate about whatever I'm doing, feeling inspired and constantly learning and growing. Hopefully, feeling a lot wiser and looking back at me now with a smile. I want to be defined my kind acts, being a good person and a person filled with love (both giving and having it). I will be the first to admit I'm idealistic and a romantic, yep I am, but hey whats the harm in some idealism in this crazy world we live in.

So I may be stressed out of my mind, but today I reminded myself how blessed I am with so many things in my life that give me so much joy and make me extremely fortunate. The job will fall into place sooner or later - I should be grateful that I am one happy girl - and I hope I still will be in 5 years, whatever I'm doing.

2 comments:

  1. I love your answer. I feel the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!! it makes me so sad that companies only want to hear that you want to be moving up in a career as your number one goal. in my field (therapy) they want to hear honesty to the 5 year question. they love when i say "i have no idea and i like it that way!" or "i really hope i'm doing therapy part time and traveling/making music/volunteering part-time." but i think my career field is the only one like this. people are so much more productive in a job, though, when they are fulfilled in their personal lives.

    ReplyDelete